Logo

Logo

Welcome!

I'm just a regular mom with a passion for all things creative! Being a wife and mom to four little boys is demanding, but I haven't lost my identity in it. I'm still a woman who loves to try new things and explore ways of bringing creativity into my life. This journey of being the Creative Chaos Mom is going to be a fun one, so feel free to join me in the chaos and share a little of your own along the way!

Thursday, June 17, 2010

Recipe: Spicy Chicken Quesadillas

Okay...let me first apologize for not having a photo on this one. We ate them up so fast that I didn't even think to take a picture until they were in our happy tummies.

I love to make up new things that are quick and easy, and it is so gratifying when I get a thumbs up all the way around from my family. This was a spur of the moment "I don't know what to make, and I don't have a lot of time...what can I throw together?" type of dinner.

I am a big fan of frozen chicken tenderloins simply for the fact that they fall in the quick and easy category. They don't have to be defrosted (you can just throw them in a hot pan frozen), they are always tender, and you can easily make a little or a lot without any extra trouble.

The ingredients for this recipe are pretty basic, so don't be surprised if you already have most of the items ready and waiting for you in your kitchen. My oldest son is five and after a few bites he announced, "Mommy, these things are REALLY good!" I couldn't help but smile. My husband agreed, and judging my my 3 yr. old and 2 yr. old's plates, they agreed as well. So here it is...

Spicy Chicken Quesadillas

8-10 chicken tenderloins (or two boneless skinless chicken breasts)
1/4 cup or 1 package of taco seasoning (I get the big container of it at Costco...it saves a bundle!)
3/4 cup water
6 medium-sized flour tortillas
4-6 cups of shredded cheese (Mexican blend or whatever you have)
1 1/2-2 cups shredded lettuce (substitute fresh spinach for a healthier option)
3 Roma tomatoes (thinly sliced)
1-2 tablespoons olive oil

In a saute pan pour 1-2 tablespoons olive oil over pan and cook chicken over medium heat until cooked through (turning once). Remove chicken and cut into small bite-size pieces. Return to pan and add taco seasoning and water. Stir chicken and coat with seasoning. Cook until liquid has evaporated being sure to stir often. In a frying pan over medium low heat place one tortilla and sprinkle with 1/2 to 1 cup of shredded cheese over entire tortilla. When the cheese begins to melt add about 1/2 cup of chicken (just enough to cover 1/2 of the tortilla). Cook for one more minute. Using a spatula slide the quesadilla onto a plate. Add about 1/4 cup of shredded lettuce and a few slices of tomato over the chicken. Fold cheese side of quesadilla over the chicken side and press together. Let cool for one minute before cutting. Repeat with additional ingredients.

Serve with sour cream, guacamole and salsa, or enjoy by itself.

Yields six servings. Total time: approximately 20 minutes.

Hope your family enjoys this one! I know I'm going to add this to our "regulars" list.

1 comment: