Logo

Logo

Welcome!

I'm just a regular mom with a passion for all things creative! Being a wife and mom to four little boys is demanding, but I haven't lost my identity in it. I'm still a woman who loves to try new things and explore ways of bringing creativity into my life. This journey of being the Creative Chaos Mom is going to be a fun one, so feel free to join me in the chaos and share a little of your own along the way!

Saturday, February 27, 2010

Thomas the Train Cake

My middle son, Owen, celebrated his third birthday a few weeks ago. My husband and I were out of town and got home the evening before his party. I didn't have a lot of time to work on the cake, so I kind of threw it together last minute. If you need to make a last minute cake for a child's birthday, you can "cheat" a little by using toys to decorate with. I used a chocolate boxed cake mix and filled the cake with an easy chocolate mousse (Cool Whip mixed with instant chocolate pudding mix), then frosted it with a homemade buttercream icing (I usually double or triple the recipe below). I put a simple border around the top and bottom edge then added some Thomas toys to top it off. I finished with a simple "Happy Birthday Owen" message on top and some "Choo-Choo" lettering on the side. It ended up being a cute little cake, and Owen loved it! Whether it's cars, trains, polly pockets or toy figurines, you can usually get a second use out them as cake toppers (especially in a time pinch). Happy decorating!

Recipe: Buttercream Icing

2/3 cup butter (softened)
4 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2-3 tablespoons milk

In a mixing bowl cream butter. Add vanilla. Mix in powdered sugar one cup at a time. Add milk one tablespoon at a time to desired consistency (more milk for thinner icing). To thicken icing, you can add more powdered sugar.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, this cake is amazing!! Micah would've loved to behold it...he's on quite the "blue Thomas twain" kick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bekah-It's super easy to make. You can do it!

    ReplyDelete