Logo

Logo

Welcome!

I'm just a regular mom with a passion for all things creative! Being a wife and mom to four little boys is demanding, but I haven't lost my identity in it. I'm still a woman who loves to try new things and explore ways of bringing creativity into my life. This journey of being the Creative Chaos Mom is going to be a fun one, so feel free to join me in the chaos and share a little of your own along the way!

Thursday, March 18, 2010

Recipe: Chicken Pot Pie

Some girlfriends and I recently decided to swap some recipes and make our own little cookbook. This is a great idea to get some new recipes that are tried and tested by people you trust. I would highly recommend doing a recipe swap with your friends if you can. I got some great new things to try and am excited to add some new things to my weekly meal plans! Somehow in submitting some of my recipes for our "cookbook" I missed this one. After a friend recently requested it, I thought I would share it on my blog. This recipe seems to be a fan favorite of my friends and family. Personally, I don't make my own crust simply because it makes a mess and the store bought version saves me some time. However, I'm sure it would be super tasty with a homemade crust if you'd like to try it that way. I love this recipe because it's a comfort food, I can make it ahead of time and freeze it, and it always gets rave reviews. Hope you enjoy!

Chicken Pot Pie

One package of refrigerated pre-made pie crust (2 crusts)
2 chicken breasts (thawed if frozen) or 8 chicken tenderloins
2 tablespoons butter
1 small onion
2 stalks of celery
1 baked potato (you can cook it in the microwave)
1 1/2-2 cups of frozen peas and carrots
1 cup of chicken broth
1 can cream of chicken soup
salt
pepper
garlic powder
olive oil

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Put potato in microwave on baked potato setting (about 4 minutes?). Set out peas and carrots to defrost. In a large frying pan over medium heat drizzle about 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add chicken and cook through (juices should run clear). Season chicken to taste with salt, pepper and garlic powder while cooking. Chop onion and celery while waiting for chicken to cook. Once chicken is cooked set aside and chop into bite-sized pieces. In same frying pan melt 2 tablespoons butter. Saute onion and celery in butter until soft. Skin and cut potato into cubes, then add to onion and celery. Add peas and carrots to pan. Stir in chicken broth while scraping bottom of pan to pick up any seasoning left over from the chicken cooking. Add chicken back to pan. Add cream of chicken soup. Stir until mixed and let simmer for a few minutes on low heat. Add pepper and salt to taste if needed.

Line pie pan with one crust. Pour chicken mixture over crust (there may be extra that won't fit). Cover pie with second crust and crimp edges together. Cut 4-5 small slits around center of top pie crust to prevent bubbling. Place on top of cookie sheet in oven (cookie sheet will catch any leaks). Bake for approximately 30 minutes. It may take longer due to differences in oven settings. Cook until the crust is lightly browned. You may need to line the edge of the crust with foil for the first 15 minutes to prevent burning on the edges.

If you freeze it, baking time may take up to 1 hour. Cook it long enough to bake the crust (lightly browned) and warm the inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment