Logo

Logo

Welcome!

I'm just a regular mom with a passion for all things creative! Being a wife and mom to four little boys is demanding, but I haven't lost my identity in it. I'm still a woman who loves to try new things and explore ways of bringing creativity into my life. This journey of being the Creative Chaos Mom is going to be a fun one, so feel free to join me in the chaos and share a little of your own along the way!

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Recipe: Fluffy Lemon Raspberry Cake

I had to whip up a dessert quickly for a dinner I was going to Tuesday evening. In my rush, I completely forgot to take a picture. I think I'm going to make it again for Easter since it was such a hit, so hopefully I can get a photo up this weekend.

This is a great cake for summertime! It is fresh, light, just sweet enough and absolutely delicious!

Fluffy Lemon Raspberry Cake

1 box lemon cake mix (prepared as directed in 2 8-inch rounds)
1 quart heavy whipping cream
1 large box instant vanilla Jello-O pudding mix (5.9 oz.)
1 pint fresh raspberries (12 oz.)
1/2-2/3 cup raspberry preserves (room temperature spreads easier)

Start with the boxed lemon cake mix and prepare as directed in two 8-inch round pans. I cannot stress enough how important it is not to over bake cakes. Bake just until a toothpick comes out clean. Another trick I use is tapping the cake in the middle with my fingertip. If it jiggles or the cake doesn't bounce back then it needs to bake longer. If the cake springs back to shape, then it's ready to come out. I usually line the bottom of my pans with waxed paper. It makes removal from the pan so easy and holds the cake together well while cooling. (Just don't forget to take the waxed paper off before assembling cake.)

While the cake is cooling, whip 1 quart of heavy whipping cream for a couple of minutes (just until it begins to thicken). Add 1 large box (5.9 oz.) of instant vanilla Jell-O pudding mix. Continue to whip on medium speed until peaks form and whipped icing has a good spreadable consistency. Put in refrigerator until cakes are ready to be iced. Icing will thicken slightly in fridge due to the pudding in mixture setting.

Level off the top of the first cake and then divide both cakes into two even layers. (You can do this by using a cake leveler if you have one, a large serrated knife, or my favorite, dental floss!). Place first layer on cakestand/plate and glaze top with raspberry preserves. Add second layer and top with a thick layer of whipped icing. Cut half of the raspberries in half and scatter a single layer of berries across the icing and push into icing. Add third layer and glaze top with preserves. Top with unleveled cake layer (rounded top). Ice entire cake with a thick layer of whipped icing. Finish by decorating with remaining raspberries. Enjoy!

Feel free to also decorate with mint sprigs, lemon slices, coconut or chocolate curls...whatever sounds good! Happy baking!

No comments:

Post a Comment