Logo

Logo

Welcome!

I'm just a regular mom with a passion for all things creative! Being a wife and mom to four little boys is demanding, but I haven't lost my identity in it. I'm still a woman who loves to try new things and explore ways of bringing creativity into my life. This journey of being the Creative Chaos Mom is going to be a fun one, so feel free to join me in the chaos and share a little of your own along the way!

Friday, March 12, 2010

Recipe: Chocolate Peanut Butter Treats

With Easter quickly approaching, I thought I'd try out some fun new treats for the boys. I like to make up recipes, and luckily, this one turned out yummy on the first try! Hope you enjoy!

Chocolate Peanut Butter Treats

3 cups mini marshmallows
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 cup peanut butter
2 tablespoons powdered sugar
3 cups rice krispies
1 1/2 cups chocolate chips (semi-sweet, milk chocolate or white chocolate...whatever sounds good!)
1 tablespoon shortening (optional to thin out chocolate)
Icing for decorating (see buttercream icing recipe under the Thomas the Train post)

Put marshmallows and butter in a medium size microwave safe bowl. Microwave in 30 second intervals until marshmallows puff up. Stir melted marshmallows until smooth. In a separate small bowl mix peanut butter and powdered sugar. Add peanut butter mixture to marshmallows and stir until blended. Add rice krispies and mix well. Pour mixture out on a piece of waxed paper. Top with another piece of waxed paper and press down mixture until it's approximately 1 inch thick.

In a small bowl combine chocolate chips and shortening (I used semi-sweet because that's all I had on hand in my pantry, and I knew the decorative icing would add sweetness). Microwave for 30 seconds. Stir. Continue to microwave in 15-30 second intervals (stirring in between each) until chocolate is melted and smooth. Do not overcook (chocolate will burn). You can also melt chocolate in a double broiler on the stovetop.

Using cookie cutters cut out shapes in rice krispies mixture. You can roll leftover mixture into balls (I made ovals to look like eggs for Easter).

Dip shapes into melted chocolate (you can do one side or both depending on your preference). Place on waxed paper for chocolate to harden. Chocolate will harden faster if you put them in the refrigerator, but I just left mine out on the counter top for about 15 minutes. Once chocolate has set, decorate your shapes with icing. Yields 5-6 medium to large cut-outs and 8-10 truffle size balls.

Hope you enjoy these yummy treats! I know my family did!

2 comments:

  1. While I am sure they taste really good, too, they are super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sandy! And yes, they are very tasty!

    ReplyDelete