Logo

Logo

Welcome!

I'm just a regular mom with a passion for all things creative! Being a wife and mom to four little boys is demanding, but I haven't lost my identity in it. I'm still a woman who loves to try new things and explore ways of bringing creativity into my life. This journey of being the Creative Chaos Mom is going to be a fun one, so feel free to join me in the chaos and share a little of your own along the way!

Friday, March 19, 2010

Recipe: Mahi-Mahi with Mango Salsa


I love fish, so this is one of my favorites! I usually save it for summertime, but with the warmer weather lately, I couldn't resist creating this tasty and healthy meal for my family this week. It's packed full of fresh fruit, protein, Omega-3's and a variety of vitamins and minerals. The best part is it's not a heavy meal (great for hot days), but still satisfies your tummy and tastes super yummy! The mahi-mahi with mango salsa goes great with sides of rice pilaf and black beans and strawberry spinach salad. To finish it off, I made up a refreshing glass of strawberry limeade.

Mahi-Mahi with Mango Salsa

2 medium sized mangoes
1/4 cup red onion (diced)
1 lime
cilantro (optional)
4 filets of mahi-mahi
salt
pepper
bread crumbs
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon butter

Peel mangoes and remove seeds. Cut into small cubes and place in bowl. Add 1/4 cup diced red onion to bowl. Add the juice of one fresh-squeezed lime. Add 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro (I don't always have cilantro at home, so sometimes I skip it). Mix mango mixture together and set aside.

Season fish with salt and pepper. Lightly coat fish with bread crumbs. Add olive oil and butter to a large frying pan over medium heat. Place coated fish filets in pan. Flip fish when cooked halfway through (approximately 3-5 minutes on each side). Be sure not to overcook fish! You want it to be cooked through, but still be moist and tender. Cook just until flaky. Garnish fish with a few heaping spoonfuls of mango salsa and serve.

To make the rice and beans, I use one box of Rice-a-Roni's Rice Pilaf. Cook according to box directions. Drain and rinse one 15-oz. can of black beans. Add beans to rice 5 minutes before end of cooking time and stir. Cook 5 more minutes and serve.

For salad, toss together 4 cups of fresh spinach with 1 cup of fresh sliced strawberries and sweet vinaigrette to taste (I like Newman's Own Raspberry Walnut Vinaigrette). I like to top it off with a few slices of fresh avocado.

Strawberry limeade is quick and easy. In a blender mix together 1/2 cup of ice, 1 can of cold lemon-lime soda (I prefer Sprite), 2 large strawberries and the juice of one lime for each serving.

Hope you enjoy this amazing meal!

No comments:

Post a Comment